External Communications Specialist
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SUMMARY & JOB DESCRIPTION
SEIU Local 1 is seeking a creative, versatile and nimble communicator in Chicago to work on our external airport campaign to help better the lives of thousands of new workers in turn helping build the power of working families. This individual should be well versed in communication strategy, digital design and social media.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Frame messages and promote a favorable image of airport workers to: the general public, media, working people and allies;
- Write and edit digital and traditional worker communication materials (i.e. event fliers, email and text message updates, newsletters, phone call scripts, postcards, etc.);
- Interview airport workers and share their compelling stories through traditional and digital means;
- Plan, calendar, write, and edit social media and web content;
- Generate website and social media traffic through effective digital techniques;
- Help develop and deliver a consistent message for various audiences including workers uniting to form a union, the general public, media, electeds, etc.;
- Perform other duties as required to support the department;
- Some travel is required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- B.A. or B.S. in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism or related field.
- 3-5 years of campaign work experience or a combination of education and experience:
- Exceptional writing skills as well as excellent verbal and interpersonal skills;
- Two or more years in campaign communications, political communications, labor communications, community organizing, or other related experience;
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits;
- Some familiarity with digital platforms, including Blue State Digital, WordPress, mobile texting or similar;
- Ability to learn online content management systems and online communications tools to deliver blast emails, text messages, etc.;
- Experience with effective paid advertising on Facebook, Google and Twitter;
- Ability to understand and tailor messages to an audience;
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign as well as all social media platforms;
- Experience developing or helping to develop and implement creative communications strategy;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines;
- Video shooting and editing skills;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice;
- Fluency in Spanish or Polish a plus.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three writing samples
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience;
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and available 401-K;
- Car and phone allowance; Moving expenses available.
Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are especially encouraged to apply.