Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice.
We are now hiring an Organizing Coordinator in Detroit, MI to work on exciting campaigns to organize new workers.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Managing and leading teams of staff and members to carry out campaign plans.
- Writing and implementing individual staff development plans.
- Leading staff by example, setting high standards of performance and holding organizers accountable to results.
- Creating and managing winning campaigns in coordination with the appropriate departments and union officers.
- Developing campaign plans for multiple companies, regions, and staff teams.
- Developing campaign messages and implementing plans with community allies.
- Articulating a positive vision of the project and of the union.
- Participating in creating the overall plan to move the union forward.
- Bachelor’s degree in Labor Relations, Economics political Science or equivalent work experience.
- At least five (5) years of experience developing and overseeing large field campaigns and managing teams of organizers.
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills, including public speaking experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- Willingness to travel, work long, irregular hours, nights, and weekends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, desktop publishing, and database software.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Fluency in a second language is a plus.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable.
- Full benefits package including employer - paid health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance and other benefits.