External Union Organizer
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
St. Louis, MO
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. We are now hiring Organizers in St. Louis, MO to work on exciting campaigns to organize higher education faculty.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- A car and a valid driver's license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.
Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are especially encouraged to apply.