Lead Airport Organizer
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration and education reform. We are now hiring an organizer in Chicago, IL to work on an exciting campaign to organize new workers at O’Hare Airport.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively lead and help supervise a team of organizers to plan and implement new worker organizing campaigns.
- Research and analysis of targets, training of organizing committees, NLRB filings, hearings, ULP’s and stipulations.
- Accurately assess and report the progress of campaigns/assignments to the Director.
- Recruit and develop the leadership ability of workplace leaders and worker committees.
- Work with leaders and committees to educate, agitate and motivate other workers to action.
- Helping develop internal and external communications that include: press materials, organizing/campaign literature, newsletters, fliers.
- Help the Local build coalitions with community groups, civil rights groups, Churches, religious bodies and other unions.
- Maintain accurate and detailed information on worksites and track individual worker info and assignments.
- Helping support contract campaigns, especially first contracts.
- As needed, gather information for legal action to protect workers’ rights.
- Commitment to social justice.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively plan and implement work and manage time, as part of a team and individually.
- Experience supervising organizers.
- Ability to work long and irregular hours including weekends.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, desktop publishing and database software.
- Driver’s license and reliable car.
- Must have previous experience winning union elections
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.
Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are especially encouraged to apply.