BASED in DETROIT, MI
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant, and environmental justice!
We are now hiring for a Grievance Representative in Detroit, MI to work in conjunction with organizers and our members.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and execute the steps of the grievance process.
- Support and execute all aspects of grievance, Labor Board and other hearings as needed.
- Effectively support the preparation and execution of arbitration, and fully argue cases before an arbitration panel.
- Support contract negotiations as necessary.
- Perform strike support, including organizing community support, helping pressure employers, back to work assignments.
- Train, recruit and develop stewards in all matters regarding grievance handling and representational issues.
- Support the union’s Member Resource Center when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Relations, Human Resources, Economics or equivalent experience in the labor movement.
- Knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining and Human Resources issues.
- Demonstrated ability to apply labor law and employment policies, practices and procedures.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills appropriate to providing a quality member experience.
- Skill to cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to manage and prioritize work, subject to dynamic deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to assess information and evidence, and decide on appropriate course of action
- Excellent writing skills for business communications and arbitration briefs.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours, including occasional weekends.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including employer- paid health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance and other benefits.