|Title:||Kansas City Director|
KANSAS CITY DIRECTOR
KANSAS CITY, MO
Summary & Job Description:
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. We are now hiring a State Director to manage our Kansas City operations and work on our exciting campaigns to organize thousands of new workers in Kansas City, Missouri.
Key Job Responsibilities:
· Hire, train, supervise and develop field staff.
· Supervise and develop Local staff and provide training on Internal Organizing, Leadership Development, Grievance Handling, Bargaining and Contract Administration.
· Oversee and plan campaigns to develop the union market and increase density above 80% in all of our industries.
· Coordinate large-scale actions involving member-leaders and stewards.
· Manage relationships with employers and other unions in the state.
· Manage relationships with politicians and community partners in coordination with the local’s Political Department.
· Oversee and supervise daily operations in his/her state, including strategic oversight of worksite visits, grievance handling and member involvement.
· Plan and manage member and steward leadership development in support of bargaining.
· Other duties as assigned (e.g. strike planning and support).
· Bachelor’s degree in Labor Relations, Economics, Political Science or equivalent work experience.
· 7 years’ experience directing large organizing campaigns, leading or supervising staff and holding them accountable.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database software.
· Experience with collective bargaining, representation and grievance handling.
· Ability to cultivate productive relationships with politicians, allies and employers.
· Ability to establish and maintain rapport and credibility with diverse groups.
· Ability to multitask and balance competing demands.
· Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including weekends and holidays.
· Valid driver's license, car and insurance.
Salary & Benefits
· Salary is competitive and negotiable.
· Full benefits package including employer-paid health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
· Additional benefits include car allowance, tuition reimbursement and other benefits.