Public Affairs/Political Director
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration and racial justice reform. We are now hiring a Public Affairs/Political Director.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design implement and coordinate, political strategies, legislative and political campaigns in six (6) SEIU Local 1 States.
- Design and implement strategic plans to mobilize members and others to support SEIU Local 1 goals.
- Build SEIU Local 1 Internal Political Capacity for our strategic priorities.
- Design and implement strategies in increase participation in the SEIU PAC or COPE (Committee on Political Education).
- Implement political and COPE trainings for staff and SEIU Local 1 members.
- Build political and community support for organizing projects and political or issue campaigns.
- Plan and execute large-scale mobilizations.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned
- Committed to social, racial, economic and environmental justice.
- Willingness to travel, work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Supervisory experience.
- Political Campaign management experience.
- Lobbying experience at multiple levels of government.
- Capacity to work independently and motivate a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between labor and community stakeholders.
- Capacity to work independently, with a team, and with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Sharp communications skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- Significant Political or Legislative Campaign experience.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- Fluency in a second language is a plus.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.