Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice! We are now hiring an office assistant in Chicago, IL.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide administrative support including but not limited to: answering phones, written correspondence and assisting in the preparation of reports, emails and proposals.
- Manage calendars, coordinate meetings and manage expense reports.
- Follow office procedures accurately and consistently.
- Handle communication, written and orally, with members and staff.
- Maintain current, accurate and easily accessible files.
- Assist with travel arrangements.
- Provide back-up for other administrative assistants when necessary.
- Help ensure meetings are structured and thoroughly planned.
- Work closely with Director of Operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to professionally interact with members, vendors and other visitors.
- Knowledge of computer software (Word, Access, Excel, Google Drive).
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to organize and set priorities.
- Solid organizational skills and the ability to work independently.
- Ability to make suggestions for improvement in policies and procedures.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to compose business correspondence.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- Two years of experience and/or some college.
- Ability to occasionally work weekends or late hours.
- Second language a significant plus.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive.
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Women, people of color, those with disabilities, and members of the LGBT community are especially encouraged to apply.