SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice.
We are now hiring Internal Organizers in Cleveland, Ohio.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Planning and executing site visits and house visits.
- Process grievances and conduct employer relations.
- Execute political program.
- Ability to travel as required for position.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to interpret and effectively communicate about collective bargaining agreements and other written materials.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills, basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including employer – paid health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance, tuition reimbursement and other benefits.