Airports Division Director
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice. We are now hiring an Airports Division Director in Chicago.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Service Employees International Union, Local 1
- Train and develop staff and members to carry out campaign plans at Midway and O’Hare airports.
- Oversee and supervise daily operations, including strategic oversight of worksite visits and member involvement.
- Supervise and develop Local staff and provide training on Internal Organizing, Leadership Development, and Contract Enforcement.
- Track performance of staff, identifying, planning and executing trainings as necessary.
- Manager employer relations.
- Work with staff to identify opportunities to settle issues through worksite power.
- Leading staff by example, setting high standards of performance and holding organizers accountable for results.
- Creating and managing winning campaigns in coordination with the appropriate departments and union officers.
- Oversee and plan campaigns to organize non-union workers.
- Run successful contract campaigns including the recruitment and training of bargaining team members, member leaders, work site actions.
- Coordinate large-scale actions involving member-leaders and stewards.
- Other duties as assigned (e.g. strike planning and support).
SALARY & BENEFITS
- At least eight (8) years of experience directing large union organizing campaigns, leading or supervising staff and holding them accountable.
- Experience running and planning organizer trainings.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Excellent oral and written advocacy skills, including public speaking experience.
- Willingness to travel, work long, irregular hours, nights, and weekends.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and database software, preferably VAN.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport and credibility with diverse groups.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
- Salary is competitive and negotiable.
- Full benefits package including health insurance, pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance.