External Union Organizer
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building the power of low-wage workers in service industries and fighting for economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice!
We are now hiring an organizer in Chicago, IL to work on an exciting campaign to organize low wage workers.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to low-wage workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on industry sectors.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including employer-paid health insurance, a pension plan and paid vacation.
- Car allowance and other benefits.