Service Employees International Union, Local 1
Based in Chicago
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers in service industries and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration reform, and racial justice.
We are now hiring a Strategic Researcher to work on exciting campaigns across the Midwest, concentrating on campaigns in Chicago and Detroit. This position is based in Chicago.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Strategic Researcher will perform a wide range of research assignments, including but not limited to in-depth corporate, industry, policy and economic research to support strategic organizing, collective bargaining or other union campaigns
- Assist in developing and implementing strategic campaigns working closely with variety of staff, including research, communications, organizing and administrative staff
- Perform other duties as needed
- Experience working on labor, community, political or similar organizing campaigns and demonstrated commitment to economic and social justice movements
- Strong analytic, written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with basic research skills, techniques and sources in areas including but not limited to corporate, financial, industry and policy research and strong data collection, analysis and reporting skills
- Computer proficient and familiar with variety of software. Microsoft Excel proficiency required. Some database software experience is required
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a team-oriented environment
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours and travel as required by campaigns; a car and a valid driver’s license are required
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan, paid vacation, car allowance as well as tuition reimbursement and other benefits.