Service Employees International Union, Local 1
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration reform and racial justice.
We are now hiring a Research Director to oversee research activity in support of organizing, bargaining, and related policy efforts in the Divisions as well as develop metrics of success within the local.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Train and provide direction to research staff and make work assignments.
- Evaluate staff and recommend courses of action for their professional development.
- Plan, develop, and direct overall research strategy for organizing, bargaining, issue initiatives and campaigns with the divisions, writing and strategic support for such projects in concert with divisions, union leaders and staff.
- Coordinate activities with other departments within the local as well as with International staff.
- Assists in member mobilization, coalition building and public relations efforts associated with organizing and first contract negotiations.
- Develops industrial, geographical and corporate organizing targets and strategies.
- Perform in-depth research to determine sources of leverage for potential organizing targets.
- Present at public forums and meetings involving other labor organizations, coalition groups and public/private companies.
- Supervise daily staff research, as well as interns, activity for the division on a project basis.
- Recruit, hire, and train staff on research methods and techniques, specific industry issues, research project management skills, and organizational context of work. Build a coordinated team across the areas of research that can share lessons and strengthen staff capacity.
- Perform other duties as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Labor Relations, Economics, or related field.
- At least seven (7) year experience in union and/or political campaigns, community organizing or other activist work.
- Thorough understanding of public and private sector organizing and collective bargaining.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills a must.
- Ability to apply strategic thinking and quantitative skills to identify organizing opportunities.
- Ability to quickly gather and digest large amounts of data.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a team-oriented environment.
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours and travel as required by campaigns.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity as well as social and economic justice.
- Familiarity and direct experience with progressive causes.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to influence, combined with a roll-up-your-sleeves approach and the ability to execute.
Salary and Benefits:
· Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience;
· Full benefits package including health insurance, a pension plan and available 401-K;
· Car and phone allowance; Moving expenses available.