Higher Education External Organizer
St. Louis, MO
SEIU Local 1 has been on the cutting edge of building power for low-wage workers and fighting in larger struggles for social justice on issues such as health care, immigration reform and racial justice.
Full and part-time faculty are coming together to right the disparities that have lowered the bar in higher education. We are now hiring a Higher Education Internal Organizer to work on exciting
campaigns to organize adjunct faculty members in St. Louis, MO.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to higher education faculty.
- Building one-on-one relationships with faculty union members.
- Identifying, recruiting and developing leaders to guide and lead campaigns.
- Conducting individual/group meetings with adjunct faculty to discuss and plan organizing campaigns.
- Motivating individual adjunct faculty members and groups of workers to take action.
- Engaging adjunct faculty in broader union efforts.
- Coordinating with adjunct faculty to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for membership growth and mobilization.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Sharp communications skills, basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house visits and worksite visits.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing is desirable.
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required.
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required.
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary is competitive and negotiable (based on the Staff Union Contract).
- Full benefits package including employer - paid health insurance, a pension